Ticks are a common concern for those who love spending time outdoors. These tiny creatures can be carriers of various diseases, making it essential to remove them promptly and safely. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the steps to properly remove ticks from humans and go over some safe and efficient options for complete removal, prevention, and testing!
Preventative Measures and the Importance of Tick Checks
Taking preventative measures and performing tick checks after spending time outdoors is crucial. In addition to the Original Tick Key™, TickKey International has partnered with Home First LLC to provide Nature’s Shield, an all-natural tick repellent available for adults, children, and pets. Using a tick repellent like Nature’s Shield alongside normal preventative measures can help prevent tick bites altogether.
Removal, Disposal, and Aftercare
When removing ticks from your body, it’s always best to have someone help you if possible. However, the Original Tick Key™ is designed for proper and efficient removal, ensuring you can easily and safely remove ticks yourself. Here’s how to use it:
- Locate the tick: Find the tick on the skin and note its position. If needed, use a mirror.
- Position the Original Tick Key™: Place the key over the tick in the slot.
- Remove the tick: Pull the key away from the tick, sliding flush along the skin.
- Dispose of the tick: We’ve partnered with EPA Enterprises to offer the Cutter Lyme Disease Tick Testing Kit. If using one, dispose of the tick in the testing kit per instructions. As a bonus, for an additional fee, you can have the tick tested for other tick-borne illnesses when you send it out. If you’re not using a kit, drown the tick in rubbing alcohol before flushing.
- Clean the area: Clean the bite area and your hands with soap and water, rubbing alcohol, or an iodine scrub.
After removing a tick, it’s essential to monitor the bite area for signs of infection or symptoms of tick-borne illnesses. Contact a healthcare professional immediately if you experience fever, rash, muscle aches, or other unusual symptoms.
Making Tick Removal Less Scary for Kids
Tick removal can be a frightening experience for children, but there are ways to help ease their fears and make the process less daunting. Start by explaining the importance of tick removal and why it’s necessary to keep them safe and healthy. Encourage your child to ask questions and provide clear, age-appropriate answers. When it’s time to remove the tick, using the Original Tick Key™ can help create a sense of control and reassurance for your child. Show them how the Tick Key™ works, maintain a calm and positive attitude throughout the process, offering praise and encouragement. Use painless antiseptic to clean the area, and of course, some ice cream or a treat couldn’t hurt!
Stay prepared and keep yourself and your loved ones safe from tick bites and their potential health risks. Visit our website today to explore our range of tick prevention products and safeguard your family against ticks.